On the evening of Monday, July 22, the Kiggavik Community Liaison Committee (CLC) held their second regular meeting of 2013 at AREVA’s Kiggavik office in Baker Lake, NU.
The CLC meeting provided a forum for Committee members to discuss a number of issues with AREVA representatives. A summary of topics discussed is:
- There was an election of officers – Casey Tuluriak was re-elected as Chair and Jean Simailak was elected as Vice-Chair.
- Timothy Eviuk, Wildlife Monitor described the wildlife monitoring that takes place at Kiggavik and the role of the Wildlife Monitor to ensure the program is carried out.
- Diane Martens, Regulatory Process Manager, spoke about the recent Technical Meetings, Community Roundtable and Pre-Hearing Conference Report, as well as the next steps in the Kiggavik environmental review process.
- Brad Pohler, Safety, Health, Environment and Quality Supervisor for Kiggavik’s exploration field season discussed the environment, radiation and safety programs carried out at Kiggavik.
- Upcoming events, including AREVA’s Kivalliq Tour, which is scheduled for November 2013.
Minutes from the July 22 meeting will be made available on kiggavik.ca pending their approval at the next CLC meeting, scheduled for this coming fall/winter.
To view the latest set of approved bilingual minutes from the February 2013 CLC meeting, click here.